Germs, mold, and lead, oh my! These are some of the many dangers that could be present in your family home. Use this article to guide you through the dangers of each type of hazard, as well as a prevention guide to avoid any health risks.
Germs are on the top of the list of organisms you can’t see. Germs are everywhere, and no matter how hard to try, you can’t prevent them from being in your house. What you can do is prevent them from traveling to your body, though. Germs are a hidden health hazard. They live on almost every household item you can think of, such as doorknobs, faucet handles, and trashcans. Ways that you can combat germs in these areas are to spray a disinfectant on these items often and on any other item you can think of. You can also wipe down common surfaces with wipes, or use soap and water on items that you think might house more germs than even disinfectant sprays can tackle. You could also invest in having a cleaning service come and deep clean your home to help you get started.
Mold is a common thing found in almost every home. Mold spores grow best in dark and moist areas, such as basements, bathrooms, and kitchens. These spores are sometimes so tiny that you can’t see them with the naked eye. This is a problem because our health suffers if we expose ourselves to mold spores. Twin Home Experts explains that the CDC has reported multiple health risks related to mold exposure, such as respiratory ailments, skin and hair ailments, and other more serious risks. For mold removal, it is wise to wipe down areas with a mixture of water and vinegar, such as bathtubs, kitchen sinks, and on tiled basement floors. Don’t reach for bleach, because it only kills mold spores on the surface, whereas vinegar kills mold at the roots. Of course, it is better to prevent mold rather than to treat it. One good way to do this is to test for the amount of moisture your house carries in different rooms. You will find that each room varies in moisture levels. If you find any particular room is way too high in moisture, you can set a dehumidifier in the room to help draw the wet air out.
This is an interesting danger that most people don’t know about. Crime Prevention Security Systems talks about how the danger of lead in the home is present in mostly older homes. In the past, lead paint was the type that builders would use for both the interior and exterior of a home. Common areas to paint with this type of paint were door frames and window sills. Many people, especially parents of young children, have learned that their homes contain lead paint the hard way — in the form of lead poisoning. If you live in an older home, make sure to have any original paint tested for traces of lead. If it comes up positive, then you need to take special precautions to remove the old paint and replace it with lead-free paint instead.
Household dangers are nothing to take lightly. Health is one of the most important things humans can have, so keeping your home free and clear of certain dangers is a good idea. Make sure to clean for germs, inspect your home for mold, and test for lead in your paint. After you do this, you can rest knowing you have made your home a safer place for you and your family.